Opa-Locka Airport Hangar Restoration 102
Opa Locka, Florida | 2011
South Florida’s critical links with aviation history inspired this restoration of a World War II-era hangar at a regional Miami-area airport. Built for the U.S. Navy in 1941, it was originally one of three identical hangars. Of the three original hangars, one has been lost and the other was redeveloped by the U.S. Coast Guard without regard for preservation. As Restoration Architect for the Hangar project, the applicant balanced careful restoration with the intended continued use of the structure as a functioning airplane hangar, requiring careful negotiation of building code and integration of contemporary equipment.
After extensive and coordinated pre-planning over several years, the firm, working with the client, the architect of record and the contractor completed the renovation in less than a year. Today, the hangar is used for private aviation. The project serves as a model for the restoration of rare and beautiful industrial buildings to their historic function, while quietly accommodating necessary technological requirements.
2014 AIA Florida Award of Excellence
Photos by Robin Hill
© 2017 Shulman + Associates